We’ve all heard that line, and most of you stay at home moms have said that line.
Think about a stay at home mom. They are called to educate, motivate, train, teach, lead, clean, disciple, entertain, organize, etc. But when all else fails, despite all their best attempts to maintain a healthy order, eventually they pull the trump card and say “Just wait until your father gets home”.
Believe it or not, stay at home moms are very much like Paul (the author of 1/3 of the New Testament). You see, Paul had a calling that he was passionate about. He felt entrusted with the gospel like moms feel God has entrusted them with motherhood.
- Paul mission was to train, develop and deploy disciples of Christ.
A mom’s job is to train, develop and deploy quality adults.
- Paul was proud when his disciples had great accomplishments and he gave them praise.
Moms will display those accomplishments (and post them on FB) for all to see.
- Paul would sometime have to admonish or discipline people for bad choices and behaviors.
Moms… well… that goes without saying
- And just as moms will sometimes deploy the trump card of “wait till your dad gets home”
Paul too had a similar trump card…
You see, that trump card is to get the child thinking about the coming judgement of when the Father returns. Sometimes, this trump card can get a kid to shape up and make some changes, sometimes it just terrifies them. Either way, that statement is all about a pending judgement moment when the Father returns.
Paul would regularly point to the returning of Christ and the day of judgement. I think he did it in much the same way that mommy points to the moment that dad returns. Yes, like Paul is excited for Christ’s return, mom is excited for dad’s return. Part of that excitement is purely for the joy of seeing him again and part of it is for the happy moment when you know that those who deserve their judgement, will finally get it.
Here is a short list of the times when Paul played the trump card.
- “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil” (2 Cor 5:10)
- “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; for it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.” (Rom 14:10-12)
- “We know that the judgment of God rightly falls on those who practice such things.” (Rom 2:2)
- “For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?” (1 Pet 4:17)
So remember, it’s time to shape up. It’s time to change our behavior and attitude. We need to get along better with our brothers and sisters. We need to not be selfish and share more. We need to obey the rules and follow his instructions. His primary instruction by the way was to “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations,baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold,I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matt 28:19-20)
We need to obey and follow because…. if we don’t…. just wait until your Father returns.